ELLIS ISLAND

Ellis Island, early 1900s
After leaving their steamship liners (docked at Manhattan or Hoboken) steerage passegers were ferried by barge to the Ellis Island federal immigration inspection station (opened in 1891, and after the fire of 1897 reopened in 1901) – Reeves, Ellis Island

For information on the function and import of the Ellis Island facility, see the links to the left (just above "Recent Updates").


From the 1890s to the 1920s Ellis Island was the largest U.S. immigration inspection depot (at U.S. entry ports).

 

Note: The Ellis Island Museum has reopened, and added a new global migration exhibit, although repairs are still ongoing following damage from Hurricane Sandy in 2012.